I'm a computer science and applied math senior at University of Rochester. I am currently working under supervision of Professor Jiebo Luo in the VISTA Lab, I also co-founded the startup FoodAR, a platform for creating immersive and accurate contant for the food industry using AR. I've been an software intern at FPT (2016) and a undergraduate researcher at ROC HCI (2016-2018).
I am deeply interested in developing novel and scalable methods to build and analyze large-scale datasets that can be leveraged and monetized in commercial applications
12/28/2018: release the first beata of adyio, the marketplace to find like-minded gamers (under developement now).
04/12/2018: received NSF grant and Undergraduate Research Award for presenting my research at IEEE MIPR 2018.
Other teams, Anh Tuan Thi (back row seventh from the right) and me visiting the Greentown Lab in Boston and the Techstars Accelerator in Boston and the MassChallenge in Boston and the WeWork in Boston
- Viet-Duy Nguyen, James E. Towner, Jiebo Luo. Spinal Surgical Risk Calculator Utilizing Machine Learning Techniques. Submitted to the AANS Annual Scientific Meeting 2019. [Under Review]
- M. Rafayet Ali, Taylan Sen, Reza Rawassizadeh, Viet-Duy Nguyen, Ronald Epstein, Paul Duberstein, M. Ehsan Hoque. What Computers Can Teach Us About Doctor-Patient Communication: Leveraging Gender Differences in Cancer Care. Submitted to the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI 2019). [Under Review]
- Viet-Duy Nguyen, Minh Tran, Jiebo Luo. Are French Really That Different? Recognizing Europeans from Faces Using Data-Driven Learning. In Proceedings of the International IAPR Conference on Pattern Recognition in Computing Systems (ICPR 2018). China.
- Viet-Duy Nguyen, Minh Tran, Jiebo Luo. Exploring Facial Differences in European Countries Boundary by Fine-tuned Neural Networks. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Multimedia Information Processing and Retrieval (MIPR 2018). Miami, FL. (Top 15 Student Papers)
- M. Rafayet Ali, Taylan Sen, Dev Crasta, Viet-Duy Nguyen, Ronald Rogge, M Ehsan Hoque. What, When, and Why of Facial Expressions: An Objective Analysis of Conversational Skills in Speed-Dating Videos. In Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognitio (FG 2018). China.
- M. Rafayet Ali, Kimberly V. Orden, Kimberly Parkhurst, Shuyang Liu, Viet-Duy Nguyen, Paul Duberstein, M Ehsan Hoque. Aging and Engaging: A Social Conversational Skills Training Program for Older Adults. In Proceedings of the ACM intelligent user interfaces (IUI 2018). Tokyo, Japan. [23% Acceptance Rate]
Large Scale PathologyImage Retrieval (Collaboration with Histowiz).
Studying old histology images to help diagnosing current tumor cells is a tedious job for physicists as the size of histology images is so large that physicists have to put a lot effort on to indentify significant details. In this project, we build a graph-based convolutational neural networks to retrive images that have same spain types, species, and organ types as the input image's. The work will be used as prototype for our partner, Histowiz a tech startup in providing services for histology images.
Recommendation System for Food Buying(Collaboration with Wegmans)
Insprired by our current study on correlations between food purchase and eye-health diseases between households and betweee zipcode areas in Upstate New York , we propose a project on building recommendation system for food buying with concentration on foods that are good for eye-health (first stage) and for general health (second stage) In the project, we will label which food is good for eye-health or for general health problems then we develop a convolutional neural network to predict chances that food would be bought based on customers' buying history. If the chances are lower than a specific threshold, we will recommend that person to buy that food.
ExperienceNew York City, NYCTO and co-founderSeptember 2017 - PresentRochester, NYUndergraduate ResearcherOctober 2017 - PresentHanoi, VietnamC/C++ DeveloperJune 2017 - August 2017Rochester, NYResearch AssistantFebuary 2016 - July 2018Rochester, NYTeaching Assistant (CSC 171, 172, 173, 212, 242, MTH 150, 161)August 2016 - PresentHanoi, VietnamResearch InternJune 2015 - August 2015